Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011

At 10:00 this morning Bill and I left Brent’s.  Sniff! Sniff!  We’ve had a great time with those four Mississippi family members.  And now our journey continues.

It was 79° and overcast when we turned north onto I-55.  Good driving weather, eh?

We stopped for lunch at a Rest Area.  While there I went to the Geocaching app on my iPhone.  There was a cache about five miles east of West.  Yes, that’s no typo!  The cache was actually in Possum Neck, MS...honestly!  And Bill, being the scrooge that he can be sometime, wouldn’t pull off the Interestate at West, unhook the Honda, and let me go find it.  And it was in Possum Neck!!  To visit that town has been on my “someday list” for a long time.  Really!  I missed my chance because of the bozo in the driver’s seat.  What a bummer!

At 2:15, we stopped in Grenada, parked at Walmart and set out to find a few caches.  The town was formed when two small towns were joined together and named Grenada, which is the Choctaw word for marriage.  There is a lot of history in this area. We cached in two cemeteries...one for Confederate soldiers, and one for victims of a yellow fever epidemic in 1878 which killed 80-90% of the town.

This was one of the coolest days we’ve had in a long time.  89° was the high with clouds most of the time.  We spent the night in the Walmart parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. Possum Neck, MS. This made me laugh! What a mean man to not take you to Possum Neck!

    ReplyDelete