Friday, February 24, 2012

February 24, 2012

February 24, 2012

When Bill left our overnight spot at Sam’s Club in El Paso at 7:00 this morning, he left me in bed asleep.  He went through a Border Patrol checkpoint without confessing that I was in the back.  Does that mean I’m illegal?  Hm-m-m-m!  Actually, they waved Bill on so I guess I’m OK.

Soon after stopping at a Van Horn Rest Area for breakfast we got onto I-20.  This area of Texas is just miles and miles of miles and miles!  We are now in the Central Time Zone.

We passed Pecos, a small town of about 8,000.  The town’s “claim to fame” is the site of the world’s first rodeo on July 4, 1883.

The Walmart in Midland, TX was our stop for the night.  After Bill rested and I went in to do a little shopping, we went in search of Rattlesnake Raceway, owned by Jim Hall.  We both raced our bug-eyed Sprite there in the early 60s.  Bill raced more than I did, but one time we were there to race as a team.  With the helmet and all the other gear on it was hard to tell which one of us was in the car.  Our friend, Peewee, came up in back of me in a particularly hard part of the track.  He thought Bill was behind the wheel and was going to push him to try to make him spin.  I just stayed in my own lines and got past all those curves just fine.  When Peewee got beside me and saw that I was behind the wheel, it shook him so much that he spun his Sprite.  That taught him not to mess with me!

We weren’t able to find the track, but did pick up a cache on our way back to Walmart.

Today’s Travel Totals: Today’s mileage, 313--Geocaches, 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment