Monday, December 1, 2014

December 1, 2014---Traveling to Mississippi


After driving for a couple of hours Bill pulled into a Rest Area for breakfast.  A sign said “tornado shelter.”  I’m glad we didn’t need to use it.

We traveled 221 miles today, stopping at a Picnic Area for lunch.  We seemed to be eating our way into Texas, don’t we?

We continued on Hwy. 287 to Decatur.  After parking at Walmart, we rested for the remainder of the afternoon.  Bill is taking longer than before to adjust to driving down the highway.  Maybe we should blame it on the lack of altitude, since he seems to blame most things of the altitude.

As fate would have it, Panda Express was just across the parking lot from us.  So naturally, since that is one of Bill’s favorite places to eat, he was very willing to go get our dinner. I told you so, didn’t I?

The drive today was through farmland.  Many of them had been planted with cotton and had been harvested.  It was interesting...some of the fields were stripped clean, while others had a lot of cotton left behind.  Back in the “good old days,” cotton was hand picked, which produced a better quality of cotton.  All picking is done by machine, even though the quality of the cotton has diminished.

If you are wondering how I know these things...(1) my grandparents were cotton farmers, (2) I taught in the middle of a cotton patch in Ropesville, Texas, and (3) I rode on a plane to Denver next to a cotton farmer from this area.  I probably asked him about a gazillion questions.  Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment