Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10, 2012

March 10, 2012

We were on the road at 9:04...not bad for loading five travelers and a dog into a “hallway on wheels.”  We took back roads to Star, where we turned onto Hwy. 49.  Mississippi back roads can be a challenge and a true test of Bill’s driving skills.  He passed with flying colors!

When we crossed into Alabama, Bill and I did our state line thing...honk, honk!  Yahoo!  No other family members joined in the celebration.  I guess they will have to be retrained!

We stopped in the Mobile area for lunch.  One of us stayed in the motorhome, ate a PNB and jelly sandwich, and rested,  two ate chicken at a new place, Foosackly’s, and three of us walked across the street to Sonic’s for burgers, fries, etc.  If you totaled the eaters and came up with too many mouths, don’t forget Willie!  He loves hamburgers, just like his dog cousins, Hapa and Joey. 

Traffic was heavy going into the tunnel under Mobile Bay, but thinned out soon after we came out and got on the bridge over the bay.  Brent was asleep in the “naviguesser” seat so we did a silent crossing into Florida.

We parked the MH at a campground on Pensacola Naval Air Station and immediately went to the beach.  It was dusk by the time we got back home, but it was wonderful being on the beautiful white sand beach again.

Brent, Sara, Coleson, and I drove around the area, mainly hunting for something to eat.  It took a long time to find our way around in the dark, but we were finally successful.  

On the way home we stopped at the Pensacola Lighthouse.  Once a month they offer night tours and this was the night.  We signed up for the 9:30 tour.  During the hour and a half that we had to wait for our tour Brent, the kids and Willie went to the beach.  Bill didn’t want to go to the lighthouse with us.  He was tired from all the driving today, so he and Willie stayed home.

The first of the tour took place in one of the basement rooms and was mostly about the ghosts that some believe live in the lighthouse.  Then we started the climb...177 steps to the top to see how the light works.  And the view was fantastic!  Now those of you who know how afraid I am of heights will know what a challenge it was for me to climb to the top.  But I made it!  Yea!

When I got back down, I went outside on the porch to get some fresh air.  Several people ask me if I went to the top.  I said, “Yes, and the guide ask if I wanted to take the elevator down, but I said, if I can climb to the top I can walk down.”  Some of them believed me, including Brent.  It was classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment