Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013


January 7, 2013

We were on the road at 7:00, Bill in the front and me in the back.  Nuf said!  We stopped in the tiny town of Sanderson to eat our breakfast.  Since the captain of the ship doesn’t provide room service I got up.  In case you are thinking I am a useless, lazy bum, I’ll admit it.  However, most of my life I have had sleep problems, and can’t go to sleep for hours.  The useless part has no reason or excuse.

As we continued west, there was snow beside the road and on the hills.  When I was doing a “snow dance” in Mississippi that wasn’t what I had in mind.

The little town of Marathon was a good place to pull off the side of the road so Bill could have a nap.  While he took his turn sleeping, I did some cleaning.  Soon we were back at our Willie Nelson thing.  We like driving on Hwy. 90.  It is wide, well maintained, and less traveled than the Interstates.

Hwy. 50, following the old Pony Express route across northern Nevada, is called the loneliest road in America.  This morning’s trip might challenge that claim.  So far, we have had one car and one propane truck pass us, and there has been very little oncoming traffic...maybe 15 vehicles.

After eating lunch at a Picnic Area, I told Bill I wanted to drive.  Wow!  Mark this day in history!  Tex was riding shotgun in case I needed help, but soon he was napping. I don’t think the cowboys riding shotgun on a stagecoach would or could nap!

I drove for almost an hour before turning it over to Bill again.  We drove on into El Paso and parked at Sam’s Club in time to watch the National Football Championship game between Notre Dame and Alabama.  It was a blowout by Alabama.  

Today’s Travel Totals:  Mileage, 427

No comments:

Post a Comment