Friday, June 21, 2013

June 21, 2013, from Gillette, Wyoming FMCA Convention


We had a very hard rain during the night.  We are parked on grass, but the roads beside and in front of us were like rivers of mud.  It was so bad in our area they quit running the shuttle busses on our street. 

In spite of the mud, we were able to make it to the main area for donuts and hot chocolate.  I was later getting to the food than Bill was.  (He’s such a chow hound!)  The lady in front of me took a bite of her donut and said, “Well, they aren’t Krispy Kreme.”  And they were kind of dry and sticky.

I was carrying my donut in my left hand and was having trouble holding the hot chocolate with my right hand, which is back in the cast.  I had my priorities right and didn’t want to put my donut down to take care of my hot chocolate.  I sat it down and asked the lady next to me to please put some half and half in my cup.  I glanced at her and thought she looked familiar.  When I heard he talk I knew who she was.  Bill and I met Vicky in Roanoke, Virginia in the summer of 2000.  For awhile we kept in touch, but that hadn’t happened for several years.  We were so glad to see each other.  Her husband, Bob was there also.  There were several thousand people in attendance so a chance encounter was a miracle.

Bill had an early class so he left us.  After quite a few minutes of “catching up” we went our separate ways.  I found a place to sit and wait for Bill.  We went back into the vendor area to see the booths we didn’t get to see yesterday.  While roaming around we saw several more people that we knew.

We went back home for lunch and naps.  And then the entertainment began.  People in all sorts of vehicles were getting stuck in the mud.  What a mess!  Two big motorhomes across from us decided to leave and immediately got stuck.  A wrecker had to pull both of them out.  Lots of people were standing around watching.  We could have made some money if we had been able to charge admission to the “circus.”

It was cold and windy most of the day, with some showers and a little bit of hail.  We decided not to go to RV Forum Happy Hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment