Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 28, 2014---Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California


There were thunderstorms in the area to the east of us this morning, so we decided not to cache up in the gold mining country.   The weather here was still mostly sunny, so we went for a walk.

The first part of our trek was mostly flat.  Then we decided to go up a hill, which was okay.  However, going up requires going down.  That’s not so easy because of the gravel.  I had Super Hiker there to keep me safe.

All had gone well, so we continued down a dirt road, hoping to go across a gully and go up a hill.  We were nearly to the gully when we discovered the way was blocked by a recent wash out.  We changed course and went down and up to a rise.

I told Bill I needed to rest for a few minutes.  He “parked” me on a big rock while he went to survey the other side of the rise.  He came back with the news that there was a sharp drop off.  We had to go up a slope, but didn’t know what was on the other side of it, either.  I sat on another rock...there are plenty around here...while he once again scoped out the situation.

By the time we finished that last climb I was getting very tired.  The motorhome was in sight, but by the time we got to it my legs were like rubber bands, even though the last part of our walk was mainly flat.  My knight in shining armor had to hoist me up into the motorhome.


When there was a break in the clouds we could see there was snow on Mt. Whitney, to the west.



I sat for a couple of minutes before wobbling to the bed and resting.  Ten minutes later I had recovered, but not enough to make me suggest we go out for another stroll.

We watched the NASCAR race from Dover, Delaware.  Jeff ran well most of the day and in the last 30 laps took the lead and won!  Yea!

While we ate dinner tonight, we watched two episodes of Zorro.  Before the sun set, the rain had started to fall and continued until bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment