Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21, 2011


August 21, 2011

The temperature was 57° when we left Mitchell at 7:00 this morning.  This is the first morning in a lo-o-o-ong time that I have started the day as Squaw Woman, riding along wrapped in a blanket.

Not only was it a cool morning with clouds in the sky, but the road was good with not much traffic, the pastures were green with lots of cows and calves, and sunflowers growing beside the road.  It was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning.

As we were driving along I noticed several yellow triangular shaped flags hanging from an overpass.  In my usual questioning way I asked Bill why they were there.  I looked over at him and, after 51 years of marriage, I knew he couldn’t come up with a single dumb answer.  Yup, its going to be a good day!

We crossed the wide Missouri River and wondered what an adventure it must of been for Lewis and Clark.  Speaking of curiosity, those guys must have been enormously curious to tackle a journey like that.

After driving for 2 1/2 hours we stopped at a Rest Area to eat breakfast.  I asked Bill if he would like for me to make an omelet.  He started to respond, but stopped.  I asked him what he was going to say.  He said, “Well, I was going to ask if you knew where the stove was.”  Would anyone like to make a wager on us making it to 52 years?!!

We stopped at an overlook at MM138 and watched the NASCAR race.  Afterwards we found a cache before going on into Rapid City.  Once again, Cabela’s is our home for tonight.

Travel totals:  Mileage, 270---elevation gain, 2000 ft.---cache count, 1---critter count, 1 turtle, 1 camel

2 comments: