Friday, October 18, 2013

October 18, 2013---Barstow, CA to Seligman, Arizona


We were on the road at 8:15 this morning, heading east on I-40.  This region of California is rather barren.  At some point a very, very long time ago volcanos erupted in this part of the world.  We drove through several large lava flows.  In the recent past, however, there has been rain. The sagebrush is green.  It makes for a pleasant contrast.

We stopped in Needles, CA to eat lunch and let Rip Van Winkle have time for a nap.  While he was napping, I took the time to pick out beads for a bracelet to make on my loom that Bill made for me.  I have one more cross to make and then I can start a beading project.

While crossing the Colorado River we went into Arizona.  It has been quite a while since we have done our “state line routine” (Honk, honk!  Yahoo!).  Bill has practiced his part several times this morning.  He just wanted to be sure he hadn’t forgotten the “drill.”

We stopped at Walmart in Kingman, AZ.  I went in for a few groceries.  The parking lot was posted “No Overnight Camping.”  After getting just a few things, we got back onto I-40 and continued our journey.

Some of you may know that I would like to have a dog.  For us, in the motorhome, it isn’t practical.  I really have no desire for another kind of pet, but this morning Bill saw a gecko run across in front of him and dash under the desk and into the heater vent.  That critter as a pet is way, way at the bottom of my list.  Probably only slightly above a tarantula or a snake.  Willie likes to catch geckos in Brent’s back yard, but I don’t think we’ll hire him to do an extermination call.  I doubt the motorhome would survive.

Miles traveled today, 284.  We hadn’t planned on that many miles, but circumstances required that we travel further today.  And as usual, we were equal to the task.  Especially Bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment