Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October 2, 2013---Manteca to Von’s Supermarket, Bishop, CA


As soon as we got on the road this morning, I called the Park Service to see if we would be able to take Hwy. 120 across the northern part of Yosemite.  It has been closed because of the government shutdown.  We were told we could drive the route, but we would not be allowed to use any of the pullouts and there were no services available.  

About 40 miles from Manteca, I began not feeling well.  I thought it might be motion sickness because of the curves, but I’ve never had car sickness before.  Then there was the elevation gain, but that’s not a problem with me, either.  I counted out food poisoning, also.  I’m fairly sure I’m not pregnant, so that just leaves hunger.  I perked up after a snack, so that must’ve been the  problem.  A midmorning snack was just what I needed.

When we got to the park entrance, there was a stop sign.  Bill rolled up to it and just kept right on going.  Oh, no!  I had visions of having to spend the night in the slammer.  Actually, the person in the entrance building was on the phone and waved us through, according to Super Driver.  I like my version better.  It sounds much more exciting!

It was a very twisty road going to the top of Tioga Pass made more excitint by the crazy people on the road with us.  At one point, a car three ahead of us stopped on the road.  We nearly landed on top of the convertible in front of us.  

Appearantly, most people didn’t get the message about not using the pulloffs.  At one of them, there were probably 20 cars and one tour bus stopped.  We went around a curve and there was a woman standing in the middle of the highway, taking a picture.  Bill use the air horn and she ran off the road just as we got there.  Yikes!

We reached Hyw. 395 without further incidence and continued on south to Bishop where we parked at the Von’s parking lot.
  
Today’s Travel Totals:  Mileage, 222---Highest elevation, 9945.

No comments:

Post a Comment