Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 23, 2012


May 23, 2012

It was cooler this morning than it has been for some time.  But by the time we started caching in Meridian it had gotten noticeably warmer.

One of the caches was in a very old cemetery.  The King and Queen of the gypsies in the US, Emil and Kelly Mitchell, are buried there.  I expected the markers to be very elaborate, but they weren’t.  We visited gypsy graves in Portland and I remember them being very big and ornate.

There were also many Confederate soldiers buried there.  Charles Read, a graduate of Annapolis, was a Navy hero.  In 21 days, during the Civil War, he and his crew captured 22 Union ships.  His grave marker told of his heroics.

By the time we left the area the temperature had risen even more.  The air conditioner felt very good as we made our way to the next cache, at an antebellum mansion that is said to be haunted.  The property looked private so we left the ghosts alone.  Brave Bill just kept right on driving.  That was fine with me.  The rest of the neighborhood looked questionable.

Sometime in the last day or two I have been in a poison ivy patch.  My right wrist was the beginning, then my face, and now my left arm is a big deal.  And it is still spreading.  Such fun!

I didn’t mind spending the rest of the day in our cool house.  I had lots to do and we have a view of a beautiful lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment