Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14, 2015—An RV lot in Yuma, Arizona


The wind blew all night.  This morning it was still blowing and it was cold.  It wasn’t good walking weather, so we went to Todd and Bonnie’s to see if Bill could fix the dishwasher.  They worked for over two hours, but weren’t successful.  He will go back tomorrow and see what they plan to do about it.

We went to Taco Bell for lunch before coming back home for naps.  I am afraid I didn’t accomplish much the rest of the day.  I may have to start limiting my nap times.

Today a package came from Michelle and Meredith.  There is a story that goes back many years.  My aunt, Laura, loved to bake cookies and make other holiday treats.  Every year, she would send us a big box of goodies.  The day the box arrived was a big celebration in our household.

We opened it, and checked out each kind of cookie.  There were usually about ten kinds.  I can remember the names of some of them…Whiskey Cookies, Potato Chip Cookies, and Chocolate Chip Cookies.  She also made Texas Cow Chip Cookies, but being the proper spinster that she was, suggested a nicer name for those cookies might be Meadow Muffins.  She also made very good Pralines and included those, as well.  She would include a bag of “Scrabble” made with Chex cereal, nuts, etc.  I often wondered where my Aunt Laura, being very straight laced and living in a “dry state,” which Texas was at that time, got the whiskey.  Texas is a big state and she didn’t live in a part that might be home to Moonshiners.  Hm-m-m!  It remains a mystery!

When Aunt Laura moved into a nursing home, I took over her job as cookie maker.  The girls and I would include Christmas plates and napkins so if she had company, she could serve them.  When she died, the tradition didn’t die also.  The box of goodies came from Michelle and Meredith today.  The ones I sampled were delicious.  I sent a text of thanks for the goodies, not for the five pounds I will probably gain. 

I know that Lori sent cookies to Brent last year, because she traced them from California to Kansas City to some little town in Kansas, back to KC, etc. etc. etc.  Finally, about six weeks later, they arrived at Brent’s house in Mississippi.  Lori said they were stale and must of been basically crumbs, but it was the thought that counted and Lori was sure they were the best traveled cookies that Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment