Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 12, 2014---Yuma, Arizona


At 7:30 this morning, we drove to the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range.  Todd called ahead to see if we were allowed in the area where the caches on our plans were located.  It was OK.

Geocaching has a new thing called Geo Art.  A group had placed 51 caches in the shape of a star.  This morning, Todd, Eric, Bill, and I went out to the starting point, divided up the caches, and started on our merry way.  Eric is by far the most physically fit, so he took the biggest part.  We left him and Todd at the beginning, while Bill and I drove to the furthest point.

Twelve caches later Bill and I made contact with Todd.  We headed back to the main road, which was over a half mile away.  In the meantime, Eric got to where we had left the CRV, and started driving to our area.  

It had been a long time since I had walked over two miles, especially on the desert.  I was carefully watching where I was stepping and using my cane, but a “critter” tunnel was my undoing.  I went through the crust of the desert, twisted my right ankle, and fell really hard on my right hip.  I was able to continue walking after a few minutes.  It was so good to see Eric and the car come into sight.

We had been on the desert for about an hour and a half.  It had taken us much less time than we had expected, so we decided to go to a smaller Geo Art place in the shape of a heart.  It involved 14 caches.  It took the guys less than an hour to complete it.  I stayed in the car by the side of the road.

Lunch at Jack in the Box was a welcome rest stop.  There were two caches close by, so when those were found and logged, we went home.  An afternoon nap felt really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment