Saturday, July 26, 2014

July 26, 2014---Elk Creek Campground, Grand Lake, Colorado


We started the day with a ranch breakfast...steak and eggs, fried potatoes, and "camping toast" rolls.  Some of the group was going horseback riding, so after they left, Brent and I cleaned the "kitchen."

I really, really wanted to go with them, but felt I might be dangerous on a horse.  Or maybe I should say, in danger on a horse.  It wasn't a trail ride where one horse follows another. They rode through aspen groves, and over meadows.  Up hills and down.  It was a really good thing I didn't ride.

Brent, Coleson, and I went in to town in search of lunch.  We walked several blocks down the main street and back again, but didn't find anything that sounded good.  Walking on the board sidewalk was difficult so we drove to the Dairy King, and had hamburgers, corndogs and fries.

We drove around the south side of Grand Lake to a picnic area.  I sat at a table and watched activity on the lake while Brent and Coleson walked on some of the trails.  Before returning to the campground we stopped for ice and a few groceries.

Jon and Harolene were at the motorhome when I got back. We had a nice visit.  After their departure, I started sorting some of the clutter on my desk.  I've been so busy with all of our activities, I've really gotten behind...the story of my life.

At 5:30, we drove to Frazer, about 35 miles from Grand Lake.  They were having a Chuck Wagon Barbecue and a rodeo.  When we looked at the menu, Meredith and I decided to share the rodeo special...The Cow Pie.  It was a bread bowl filled with baked beans, pulled pork and topped with slaw.  It was good, but I wonder why it wasn’t called The Pig Pie!

The rodeo was well attended.  It was a lot of fun, but I don’t think any of our group wanted to get on a horse and ride around.  When they got to the barrel racing event, we thought we might enter Sara.  Brent said he would be the barrel.  When one of the riders knocked a barrel, Brent said he changed his mind.

After about two hours, rain began to sprinkle down.  We decided to cut the event short for us and drove back to the campground.  It had been a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment