Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August 13, 2014---FMCA Convention, Redmond, Oregon


Before 7:00, we went to sign in for some craft classes.  I was glad we had gone so early.  Not very many classes were offered this year and they filled up fairly fast.

The class I was most interested in was about weaving pine needle baskets.  I gathered some long pine needles about a year ago, but hadn’t attempted a basket.  At last I will learn some of the techniques.

This morning, the class was an introduction to the process, including information on gathering the pine needles, how to treat them after you have them, etc.  We learned about the different kinds of sinews for lacing the pine needles together.

The class instructor told a lot of facts about the history of these types of baskets.  Vicky Nickelson is very knowledgeable about the subject.  She’s from Kent, Washington, and teaches classes all over this part of the country,

Tomorrow, we actually start a weaving project.

I also took a class in wine cork necklaces.  I was pleased with my finished product.  I used a lot of beads on mine.  I didn’t have any trouble finding the beads I wanted to use.  I have lots of that kind of thing.  Imagine that!

I have felt better these last few days.  Today, I did a lot of walking and had the energy to keep going.  Maybe I’m pushing myself more because there are so many things to do at this kind of convention.

At 4:00, we went to Happy Hour with some of Bill’s RV Forum members.  There were about a dozen of them there, most of whom we know from the rallies in Quartzsite in January.

Just as we got home, the rain started.  Today was our coolest day since we got here and it was a blue sky day until later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment