Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 27, 2014---Junction City, Oregon


This morning, I had a new experience to add to the long list of things I’ve done, been to, and seen in my lifetime.  The farm where we are parked for our RV work has three cows, a calf, and a bull, plus 800 chickens.

As of 10:30, they no longer had a bull.  A truck pulled into the pasture, shot the bull, and proceeded to slaughter it on the spot.  The company, Farmer’s Helper, had all the equipment to do the entire process.  A hoist lifted the animal to a working position.  After the blood stopped flowing the workers began to cut off the hide.  They were very professional and methodical.

As each part was taken off, it was power washed and put in the truck.  The carcass was quartered, the insides were loaded in the truck, and when everything was well washed, they drove out of the pasture.  The only thing left behind was a spot of blood on the ground and a small pile of grass, the contents of the stomach.

I didn’t take any pictures, because I thought I might gross everyone out.  I did wish I had taken my iPhone with me because the youngest cow was very curious about what was going on.  Several times, she went up to one of the workers, sniffed his butt, and got shooed away for her efforts.  It was really funny!

After the meat is cut up and frozen, the farmer will get the beef.  The hide will go to a tannery and the insides will be rendered.  It was interesting to watch it all.

And then we went into Junction City to eat lunch.  I didn’t once think about the bull as I was eating a hamburger at Dairy Queen.  How quickly we forget!

I accomplished a lot this afternoon...cleaning out all the bathroom cabinets and getting Oregon Duck t-shirts ready to be mailed at  the Post Office tomorrow.

The work on the motorhome was finished tonight.  We will be able to leave in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment