Wednesday, August 6, 2014

August 6, 2014--Jerome, Idaho to Crystal Crane Hot Springs RV Park, Crane, Oregon


It rained all night, and was still raining when we left at 6:20.  We drove for about an hour before the weather cleared.

We passed thru the little town of Glenn's Ferry.  We didn’t stop today, but this area is one of my favorite along the Oregon Trail.  Those pioneers had to cross the Snake River.  The safest place to do it was at Three Island Crossing, near the present location of Glenn's Ferry.

The covered wagons were on a cliff on the south side of the river and had to be lowered by ropes, one wagon at a time, to the bank of the river.  When everyone was down, they would cross all three islands to get to the north side of the Snake River.

This is a picture I took several years.  I was up on the cliff.
I hope you haven’t minded this history lesson.  I have admired the determination of those brave souls making their way to Oregon.  If you ever get the chance, visit this little patch of history.  There is a small, but good museum there.

We continued our present day journey into Oregon with extra loud honking and yahooing.  We enjoyed the time we spent living in Oregon, but we are happy being wanderers.

Hwy. 20 was our chosen route to go west toward Bend.  We’ve traveled this route before and enjoy being out in the country.

We checked into a campground west of Crane.  We plan to spend three days here before going on to Bend on Saturday.

Today’s Travel Totals:  Mileage,  299---In-N-Out visits for 2014, 15  (I forgot to put this in yesterday’s totals.      It may take me some time to get my act together again.  You do know I am suffering from AAAD, don’t you?  Age Activated Attention Disorder)

No comments:

Post a Comment