Saturday, July 11, 2015

July 11, 2015----Keizer to the Eugene Elks Lodge, Eugene, OR.

Believe it or not, I was up this morning at 7:00 and dressed by 7:15.  The was coming at 8:00.  Our friend, Guy, who lives in Bend, was stopping by on his way to Portland.  He knew where we were because he reads my blog every night.  He called yesterday to make sure we were still on schedule.

We had a very nice visit.  It was a good time to catch up on some family news.  Guy had four little girls.  When Bill and Guy were racing sports cars in Portland, Guy’s four little girls would follow Bill everywhere.  It looked like Papa Duck and his four little ducklings.  They were always in a straight line, marching along in and out among the race cars in the pits.  They were all five adorable, even Papa Duck.

When Guy left (Sniff, sniff!) for Portland, we went south toward Eugene.  When we got to Exit 228, Bill knew not to ask if we wanted to get off the Freeway at that point.  As Paul Harvey would say...”and now for the rest of the story.”

Years ago when we were still living in Oregon, we had been to the coast and were going back to I-5.  I was very tired and had gone to the back of the van to take a nap.  We pulled into an Arco station for gasoline.  I heard Bill say he was going in the station to the restroom.  I said I was going in for the same reason.  When I came out, “Mr. Deafness Who Also Doesn’t Listen” was gone.  I sat on a curb and in about 15 minutes he came back, looking rather sheepish.  He thought I was still asleep in the back.  As he pulled onto the freeway, he said something to me.  When he looked back to see why I hadn’t answered, guess what?  I wasn’t there.  He had to go several miles before he could turn around.  Believe me when I tell you that I have made good use of that story over the years.  He didn’t even attempt to turn in today.

We parked at the Eugene Elks Lodge where we have stayed before.  It is a good location for shopping and eating out.  After watching part of the NASCAR race from Kentucky, we made a quick trip to Walmart.  When we got home, we had “Jeff Gordon” supper and watched the rest of the race.  Jeff finished seventh, I think.

Today we traveled 75 miles. The drive between Salem and Eugene was very pretty...past farms with tree covered mountains to the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment